Pregnancy is a demanding time for any woman, changes are occurring physically, mentally and emotionally as soon as conception takes place. Nurturing touch during pregnancy is not a new concept; it’s well known that relaxation and self-awareness tend to create increased well-being for both the mother and the developing baby.
The massage motions, rhythm and pressure variations of a Pregnancy Massage flood the sensory nerve pathways with input that increase the body’s awareness and overrides signals of pain and stress that the mother may be experiencing.
In clinic we use the ‘belli pillow’ which allows an expecting mother to lie comfortably on her belly and ease the pressures of the developing infant. Our therapists are also experienced in incorporating other massage positions if and when certain positions become uncomfortable.
Possible benefits of regular pregnancy massage are:
- Eases pain and discomfort through all stages of pregnancy, including areas of particular tension upper and lower back, headaches, shoulder and neck aches that may be caused by muscle tension and shifts in posture to accommodate increasing abdominal weight.
- Decreases pain in the pelvic/hip area due to postural changes with pelvic tilting.
- Increases circulation for mother and baby, increased relaxation facilitates healthy circulation to the uterus thus improving fetal health and development.
Improves digestion and reduces nausea.
- Reduces mental and physical fatigue.
- Improves skin elasticity that can help reduce stretch marks.
- Helps reduce swelling in such places as ankles, hands and feet.
- Promotes relaxation and deep breathing which in turn may allow for a shorter and less complicated labour.
Our massage therapists don’t just provide soothing, nurturing touch; they also bring on focus, give individualized and undivided attention to the mother-to-be, as well as offer important information about postural imbalances and ways to improve comfort at home.